Home Renovation - Loft Conversion Pt.1

Hello everyone!

How are you? Long time no speak aha. I know, I've been terrible lately at blogging but I do have a post for you today which may explain why...



Loft converting. Converting a loft.

I don't know about you, but I was under the impression that you tidy up a bit, put a floor down, whip some walls up and bob's your uncle. Two weeks, tops. I was so wrong. Turns out, it's much more time consuming and complicated than that. 

We've just come to the end of week 4 and I have been recording videos and taking pictures of the whole progress so I thought it would be interesting to show you where we're currently at. 

The first few pictures look like slow progress, kinda looks like nothing changes but you have to start with all the uninteresting, boring things like rearranging the current wiring, moving downstairs walls into different positions, etc. You feel like you're working your ass off all day and nothing is changing when, actually, a lot is. 

I can take about zero amount of credit for all the work you're about to see. I work all day so I don't get to spend much time helping. It's been down to my Dad who has plodded on with this project all by himself. 

Enjoy....


Panorama shot of the loft almost at the start. Before taking this picture all that orange insulation you can see rolled up at the back was laid out on the floor and there were remnants of the old owner's belongings still up there e.g. old curtains and deckchair cushions. There were also REALLY big tiles of dodgy insulation dotted about. No idea what it was made out of but they were sharp and heavy. They went on the tip. 

Overall, the loft was in pretty good condition. It was fairly clean (for a loft)... minimal spiders... just a bit messy.


Once the insulation had been removed, all the wiring for the house had to be dropped down below the beams. This took ages and has been moved several times since, too.


As you can see, some lazy plumber fitted a gas pipe right through the middle of the room so that had to be removed and reinstalled around the side. 


Next, there was a wall separating the living room from the kitchen downstairs which was knocked down and rebuilt giving the hallway several more inches in width to fit in some stairs. This took quite a while. And I stupidly forgot to take pictures so it looks like I've missed a chunk out. 



Here is my beautiful new flooring! Look at how good it looks. 

This definitely took the longest because all the beams had to be strengthened before the floor could be  put down as it was squishy when you walked. That took days and days of time consuming and awkward work. It was worth it though because the floor is really sturdy now which is ideal for all the junk I plan to put up there hahaha.


Here are the stairs! They're not as wide as normal stairs but other than that they're just as you would expect. My Dad ordered these off eBay from the seller TKStairs LINK HERE. These were around £200 and made to measure. They are excellent. Would recommend. 


Jumping forward quickly again, here is the structure of the first wall. I know it doesn't look straight but it is, once plaster board is on, you won't see that the horizontal pieces aren't straight, their purpose it just to hold screws.

Then the slats you can see at the top went in, this will make the ceiling flat rather than a ^ shape. 


This wall is the gable end and is next to be made into a wall! 

I've just been informed that we are over the half way mark now, however there is a lot still to be done. Allow me to make a list: internal walls to separate my room with the new bathroom and landing, wiring up new lights and plug sockets, insulating, plaster boarding, plastering, skirting boards, coving, decorating, carpets, fitting a new bathroom, fitting a banister. The list grows daily. I hope you will look forward to seeing part two of my loft conversion!

Wish us luck!

Thanks for reading and bearing with my lack of posts :)

See you next time, 
Leanne x
Follow on Bloglovin
Thoughts of the day
  • I went shopping today to buy some stuff for tea and I bought a cabbage instead of a lettuce :(
  • 6 weeks until I break up for Christmas! 
  • Started my new position at work on Monday and I'm enjoying it so far (touch wood).
  • It's my sister's 17th birthday on Wednesday and I've bought her some lovely presents! I might write a post but just incase I don't, I've got her tickets to see Mockingjay Pt.1, white on white vans, Sims 3 Generations and some adorable stationary bits from Clintons. So excited for her to open them!
  • Anyone started their christmas shopping? I haven't.. I need to get a move on I think.

6 comments:

  1. For some odd reason, I've always wanted to live in a house with a loft conversion because I've always wanted to have the room! It looks like you've made a load of progress and its really starting to take shape. Can't wait to see what it looks like when its finished!

    Sarah / Sarah Smiles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you share my excitement! Definitely some kind of room tour will happen when it's finished :) Xx

      Delete
  2. I love loft conversions! Found your post really interesting :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pressed send before I meant too! I also love that you bought a cabbage instead of a lettuce! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I shall write a part 2 post soon as so much has changed!! Hahahah I have zero common sense sometimes :D

      Delete
  4. Just discovered your site and I love it! and You share informative post I hope you will share another good post.
    Renovations in Vauxhall

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for reading! I read every single comment and reply to them all. If you have any other questions you can Tweet me @MystNeonLights :)

 












Follow


Contact
ridgway.leanne@gmail.com