DIY Vintage Storage Boxes... for FREE!

Hello everyone!

Last summer I bought some MOPPE storage draws from Ikea with the intention of painting them to match my room. I never actually got around to painting them after deciding that I quite liked the way they looked just plain. However a few days ago I had the bright idea of wallpapering the draws! 

I've taken pictures of how I did it as I thought it was a really nice project to get stuck in to as it's completely free if you already have the item you want to wallpaper.

'How is it free?' I hear you say. Well, if you didn't know already, you can walk in to places like B&Q, HomeBase etc and just take a few wallpaper samples home with you! Make sure you take enough to cover the items you want to wallpaper and you're good to go.

So let's get cracking!

You'll need:
Wallpaper
Scissors
PVA glue
Pencil


You can see the 'before' picture above. Nice draws but pretty plain I think you'll agree.

I only took two samples because the blue/green wallpaper had lots of different patterns on it. I didn't use the pink paper in the end but I do have other plans for that!

First lay out the wallpaper and decide which parts are your favourite.

Then place your draw face down on the wallpaper and draw around it with pencil. 

Once you have everything drawn out, cut out the shapes with scissors or a penknife, whichever works best for you.

Now we need to glue the wallpaper on!

Make sure you apply a generous amount of glue all the way to the edges so that the wallpaper doesn't peel off around the edges. 

If the wallpaper isn't the exact size you can trim the edges when the glue has dried properly. 

To help the wallpaper dry flat with no bubbles I piled some books on top of the draws while they were drying. 

About 2 hours later they were pretty much dry although you could leave them overnight if you'd prefer. 

Above, you can see the final product! I was thinking about doing the sides of the box too but I haven't made my mind up about that yet!

So, what do you think?
Are you going to start wallpapering everything in sight now? I think I am...

Thanks for reading,
Leanne x

2 comments:

  1. Recently bought a new moppe for my ever growing makeup collection
    Contemplating what to do with it, when I was younger I just doodled all over it! Top DIY suggestion
    xx

    www.ambloglife.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The moppe draws are so ideal for makeup storage :) Glad you found it useful! :D xx

      Delete

Thank you so much for reading! I read every single comment and reply to them all. If you have any other questions you can Tweet me @MystNeonLights :)

 












Follow


Contact
ridgway.leanne@gmail.com